Cancer can take a toll on your body; cancer rehabilitation can help you get back to the things you enjoy.
Cancer and the demands of treatment can have a lasting effect on your health — physically, emotionally and cognitively. Cancer rehabilitation can help you prepare for treatment and maintain strength throughout, so you can get back to the things you care about most.
The Benefits of Cancer Rehabilitation
If you have been diagnosed with cancer, working with a specialized cancer rehabilitation therapist can help you with the following:
- Decrease pain and fatigue
- Improve balance and mobility
- Build strength and endurance
- Enhance memory and concentration
- Regain speech and swallowing ability
- Improve bowel, bladder and sexual function
- Reduce numbness and tingling
- Manage persistent swelling and other side effects
- Continue to engage in important daily activities
About Cancer Rehabilitation Services
Cancer rehabilitation therapists receive extensive training in oncology rehab and understand the unique challenges of undergoing cancer treatment. Specialists can help you regain strength and function.
Cancer rehab services may include the following:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
To schedule your first visit, talk to your provider about finding a cancer rehabilitation specialist near you.
Rush Excellence in Cancer Rehabilitation
- Accredited cancer care: The Rush University Cancer Center and Rush Copley Cancer Center are fully accredited by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons. CoC accreditation shows that Rush is committed to providing patients and their families with quality services to diagnose, treat, rehabilitate and support those dealing with cancer.
- Quality cancer care: The Rush University Cancer Center has been recognized by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI), an affiliate of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. The QOPI Certification Program certifies oncology practices that meet nationally recognized standards for cancer care. This certification reaffirms our commitment to providing patients with high-quality cancer care.
- Focus on your mind and body: We make your quality of life a top priority from your diagnosis and treatment to well into recovery. Our supportive cancer care program provides social and emotional support, nutritional counseling, acupuncture and more. And Waterford Place Cancer Resource Center in Aurora, Illinois, offers a wide range of services free of charge to anyone affected by a cancer diagnosis.
- Spiritual support: A cancer diagnosis may lead you or your loved ones to question your spirituality or experience other challenges related to faith. Our on-site, non-denominational chaplain offers one-on-one support to help you work through questions of faith.