Rush neurologists offer specialized testing to diagnose your — or your loved one's — type of dementia.
Among the Best in the U.S. for Neurology and Neurosurgery
U.S. News & World Report ranked Rush University Medical Center No. 3 in the country and best in Illinois for neurology and neurosurgery.
The Rush Approach to Dementia Care
There are many types of dementia, and many causes of it. That's why at Rush, our approach to treating dementia is to identify the root cause of it first.
Knowing whether your dementia is Alzheimer's disease, Lewy body dementia or vascular dementia, for example, helps us tailor your treatment. Rush neurologists provide testing for the different domains of memory to diagnose your — or your loved one's — form of dementia.
We also know that living with dementia is hard on both patients and their caregivers. That's why we provide education and emotional support, including helping you prepare for what to expect, along with medical treatment for dementia.
Rush Excellence in Dementia Care
- Dementia understanding: Thanks to dementia research from the Rush Alzheimer's Disease Center, Rush neurologists and geriatricians have a deep understanding of the risk factors for dementia and the ways dementia can affect someone's life.
- Dementia expertise: Our expertise in dementia care is drawn from seeing more than 30,000 patients with neurological issues each year across the Rush system. This breadth of experience allows us to better diagnose dementia symptoms and tell the difference between different types of dementia.
- Emotional support: We know a diagnosis of dementia can be frightening for both patients and caregivers. Dementia specialists at Rush can help you adjust to changes and connect to available resources in your community. Rush also offers support groups for people with memory loss and early onset Alzheimer's disease in downtown Chicago.
- Dementia clinical trials: Rush frequently offers clinical trials of potential new treatments for Alzheimer’s and other dementias. Your primary care provider or dementia specialists may recommend you participate in a study for an investigational drug or other therapy as part of your treatment.
- Nationally recognized care: Rush University Medical Center is consistently ranked among the best in the nation in neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. For our providers throughout the Rush system, this nationally recognized expertise is only a phone call away.